Sat down last night and started, here is stage one.
Remembering that this could, of course, all change as I move forwarded.
So I made the front and back covers from recycled cardboard from work, 2 pieces for each cover just to make them a little stronger. Covered each piece individually and them stuck them together. Used a folded spine for the page holder.
I joined the covers with leather strips and brads. I used 2 inch squares placed on cardstock for the front. Hand doodled stitches on each piece. Have not thought of a journal title yet.
The next phase is to decided on the internal pages. Currently I have just place scrap pieces to hopefully inspire me. I will sleep on it.